CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, September 14, 2008

ATTENTION ALL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TEACHERS!

Here are my questions:
(1.) What are your specials (P.E., Music, Art and Media Center/Library) and how often do you have them?
(2.) Do your students have a recess? (Not including lunch recess.)
(3.) Is it a daily recess?
(4.) Morning or afternoon, (gulp?) both?
(5.) Does an aid supervise or do you supervise your own students?
(6.) How much planning time do you get per day/week?
(7.) Are there days when you you get no am or pm breaks?
(8.) Do you have a computer lab?
(9.) Do you have a full time person to run the computer lab?

Here are my answers to the above questions:
(1.) P.E. - one half hour, twice a week
Music, one half hour, once a week
Art, one hour, every other week but on Monday so we lose quite a number to Monday holidays.
Media Center/Library, one half hour, once a week
(2.) One 15 minute recess every other week on the Monday we don't have Art.
(3.) No daily recess.
(4.) Neither
(5.) No recess
(6.) Planning time: 30 minutes before and after school, and the days we have specials. A total of 7 1/2 per week. (These include the times for specials.)
(7.) The Mondays we don't have Art we have no breaks from 7:50 -12:05.
(8.) We have a computer lab.
(9.) We have no one to help in the computer lab.

Please let me know. If I just put in that time I would never get anything done. As with most teachers I come in very early and stay very late and more often than not work on weekends. That is the way it has always been. However, we used to have a 15 minute supervised recess everyday and it was necessary for both the teachers and the kids. Now that is gone. Maybe we were just terribly spoiled.
P.S. For those of you who say to quit my bitching because I ONLY work 9 months of the year, I would remind you that I don't work a 40 hour week. It is, as with most teachers, at least 60, and we now work 10 months. By the way, I spent 2 weeks of my summer vacation taking classes that were required for my certification. I did not get paid for them, either. The best part of the job is, of course, the kids. There are few jobs that have that benefit.

2 comments:

Neva said...

OMG>...what in the world are they thinking? that just sounds insane!!no breaks no recess....as if that will make the kids learn more.....I do NOT know how you continue to do this year after year....I am impressed

Joy said...

Wow another reason why you need to move closer to us.
I will answer your questions based on my 6th graders schedule.
PE is scheduled 3x's/week. My kids miss 1-2 because of challenge and or sectionals for band. Music class depends on if you are in band or not. My son has band 4 days/week and misses out on study hall which is supervised by one of the 4 6th grade teachers. I think they rotate each week... The kids in every grade have Art/Library/Computer 1 day/week. Every grade has a lunch recess. I don't think the 6th grade has another recess. Lunch recess is supervised by the copy clerk/playground supervisor. As far as the Teachers planning time, I think they have that built in during specials. The teachers come to the Bookfair each year to look at books and fill out their wishlist. I often hear them say..I will come back during my planning time. We do have a computer Lab at the 3rd -8th school with a computer teacher. The Primary school I believe brings computers to each classroom.
I hope this gives you some insight on how things work elsewhere. Sounds like our Teachers have it a little easier than you all. Everyone needs a break in their work life. I am a much better nurse and co-worker after I have had even a short break. Take Care!