CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, September 21, 2008

You read it here first.


Last winter when the sub-prime mess started its domino-like collapse I suggested maybe something good would come out of this mess. This last week we saw the financial markets implode, too. Am I still willing to say something good will come out of this? You betcha!


Maybe, just maybe all those folks who wanted to be wealthy and are now out of a job might think about going into teaching (or any of the helping professions, for that matter.) When I went to college in the 1960’s, yes I AM that old; women went into teaching, nursing or business. The ones with business degrees became secretaries and were often more educated than their bosses. I went into teaching because I came from a family of teachers, actually from generations of teachers going all the way back to Prudence Crandall, one of America’s most famous educators.

We were often told in our education classes that “You don’t go into education for the money.” Now I would guess professors could tell their students, “You can go into teaching because they will always need teachers.” It could be that there might even be a teacher glut, as happened when I graduated in 1970. Also, here in Arizona we were told, jokingly (or not), that we were paid in sunshine. Actually, we were paid far below the national average. The districts in the teacher glut days were in the position of the business, financial and computing worlds of the last couple of decades, of being able to pick the best of the best and for a few years, being a teacher was a job of respect.


Maybe this is coming full circle. Now (most teachers my age have taken early retirement) age is actually on my side and I get the respect that older folks used to get. My students and parents know that I am teaching because I want to, not because I have to.


Young people entering college, and perhaps those who have lost their jobs in the business, financial and computing worlds, will decide that teaching is a secure job. Yes, my job is secure, but, and I know I keep saying this, it is a job where the perks never show up in the paycheck.


Yesterday, my husband and I went to Subway where a former student who was working there called out to me. I asked her if she was going to college, because I have always pushed higher education. “You said I had to! Remember? And boy, you were right!” Sweet words. Maybe she’ll decide to teach.

5 comments:

Joy said...

I come from a family of teachers also. I love volunteering at the kids school. I often wonder if I missed my calling. Although, I love my nursing career. My daughter pretends to teach in her room. She has a white board on her wall that she keeps her schedule. Today she made a job chart for her "students". I am extremely proud that she may eventually follow in the footsteps of her grandmother and great grandmother. I will be truly surprised if she doesn't go into teaching. No matter what I will remain extremely proud! Thanks for teaching because you want to. That is a true teacher!

Liz said...

The truth is I knew I could NOT do what you do. Nurses have always been held in high regard and I don't ever recall there being a glut of nurses.

I do think that with out "new" economy people who are starting to college will consider the helping professions. The people who wanted it all found that "things" and "stuff" are not what is important in life.

Young Ms. "M" does have teaching genes, but she is, afterall, her mama's girl.

Neva said...

Wow...I knew teaching was in your jeans but you have some impressive history....and I would say, working as support staff in a high school, teachers have a very hard job that I could not do but the rewards that come out of it are immense....thanks for being a teacher...your students are very very lucky.

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Hope you are having a fun day.

Tina Puntigam said...

Happy Birthday!!!! I hope that that you have a wonderful celebration and get lots of stuff!! Especially coffee and chocolate!!