CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Sixteen Days: DAY 1 of the Great Clean Up

Our school district had originally planned for the teachers to come back on Monday, December 23rd as a work day! Rumor was that the vast majority of teachers would mysteriously be too ill to come in that day. Needless to say, the school board members had an attack of common sense (very rare indeed!) and scrapped that idea. This is the first Christmas Holiday in years where we actually have two FULL weeks off, and that translates into three full weekends: sixteen days off. I have plans!


We have a barn which is guarded by Nora, the cat. (I inherited Nora from my daughter and she loves living in the barn by herself. She doesn't know she is a cat.) I am not exaggerating about Nora 's job. No stray cat would dare come into her domain. Unfortunealetly, our barn has become the receptical of all sorts of old junk. Unlike the rest of country, there are few houses here that have basements and attics, which is where most people send old junk that they plan to sort through someday. I don't plan on doing much sorting. Is that old crappy stuff going to suddenly become collectible, a la' "Cash in the Attic"? I seriouly doubt it. Remember that great line from "The Sound of Music" where the nuns try to give Maria's dress to the poor and poor don't want it. There is nothing out there that anyone would want. If I do find anything worthwhile I promise to take it Goodwill. Having spent my October break cleaning out my folks junk , I would never do that to my own kids. My plan is to throw out everything! Sorting is not even an option.


I also plan on cleaning out the pantry and my junk out of the garage, too. I figured that if I put my intentions out in public I would have to be accountable for my progress. Also though, I am tired of stuff, and lord, I DO NOT want to have to feed and care for, no, actually we have neglected all this junk. There will never be the right time to sort through it.

I will post my progress. This is the best Christmas present I have ever given Gary .... or myself.

Wish me luck!


5 comments:

Tina Puntigam said...

I went through some junk recently. I went through each box with a three box a day goal. Most of it was JUNK! Best of luck! I would love to rent one of those garbage containers and just throw stuff into it directly instead of having to bag it :)

Liz said...

I would too, but when that happens people think that it is a PUBLIC dumpster (even though is in the driveway) and fill it up!

Did you reach your goal? I think this is one of those times when I am so grateful for the support of my blogfriends!

You have inspired me!

Alex said...

Good for you mom! I would hate to have to burn down that barn sometime in the future.

You didn't mention to your blogging public that it is a two-story barn.

Neva said...

Well, it is a good thing you have 16 days off....might get you through 16 cubic feet of the 2 story barn~ when you are done...do you hire out? I have a garage AND a basement that is in dire need of an unrelated person doing the tossing.........and BT.......WE had a snow day on Friday so I get one more day than you....(here the nahnana nah nah coming your way?) I am SURE you are jealous of our 6 inches of snow and current temprature of -7* aren't you?

Tina Puntigam said...

I did get rid of all the junk boxes, but we hit a snag when we decided to get rid of the baby junk and brought it out of the basement with no set plan :) Now we just have to find a home for a swing and a cradle and things will be looking much better in our home.

How's the "The Great Clean Up" going for you?