CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Thoughts on Moving

I had just about completed a post when the power went out for just a moment; just long enough for me to lose what I had written. It was a quite lovely, elegant and poignant blog about how much I would miss my daughter, son-in-law and adorable grandkids when they move to the midwest. Duh! Of course, we will miss them.

I have been given very specific directions not to induce any guilt. That is a strong family trait, perhaps even genetic. I had developed my own 12 Step Guilt Recovery program so I was not planning to relapse on guilt, and no I am not making fun of any 12 step programs, either. I had a friend once say that guilt is the gift that keeps on giving. True, true, true.

I hate moving. I still have nightmares about moving even if I'm not the one moving. Moving is not easier than it used to be, just different. I know this is a wonderful opportunity for my daughter and her family. It is a lovely part of the country where people are wonderfully friendly and caring. I lived 80 miles away from where Alexandra and her family will be when I was a little girl. Intellectually I understand all this, but my heart still aches at the thought of them being, as Carol King sang, "So Far Way."

5 comments:

Neva said...

I hate moving and therefore we haven't moved but twice in 30 years of marriage and the last time 20 years ago. A nice opportunity for your daughter but you can't stop missing them. BYW, the fundraiser was for tuition help for the school I work at...that part was ok...but the other part...not so much!

Liz said...

Neva,sounds like you teach at a private school. My sister does too, and they also do fundraisers. A whole new set of problems from public schools like parents from H**L.

Thanks for the comments about moving, too. Our problem now is that we accumulated too much stuff.

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

I hate moving also. During our last move in 2004 when we finally bought our first home/ranch I said it would be the last move until I had to move into a nursing home. Not sure if that is true but it sounded good at the time.
I feel for you on Alex's move. Only one of our kids live nearby anymore and if they would move away, I can see us moving also.
Have you checked into 'Skype' or something like it? With a webcam you two can talk and see each other on the computer. It is very nice.

Liz said...

E&G, great idea. We will look into that. Thanks for the kind words.

Neva said...

I have a son who lives in Beijing...pretty far from Chicago....and we use Skype and Skype out all the time....he has been able to keep up with the puppy we got and the web cam works really well. Highly recommend it...and yes, I work at a private catholic school...in the library!