CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Another senseless death


Another suicidal appliance, or is this the plot of a Stephen King novel? The past six months we have had an unheard of number of appliance deaths; too numerous to name here. The terms mind-boggling and "oh, you-must-be-joking" would cover it.

Last night I decided to microwave a mini-bag (not the jumbo bag that I craved) of popcorn in our 6 month old stainless steel microwave. It started shooting flames towards my poor bag of popcorn. Damn! I removed my pathetic unpopped and singed bag and moved it to the ancient brown mammoth microwave which is hidden away in the corner of the rec room. (How old is it? The numbers are in Roman numerals.) It worked fine but is an embarrassment to have in the kitchen. It's about the size of a washer, too.

Gary and I trucked down to Big Box warehouse store and bought another stainless steel microwave. The kid at the checkout asked if we wanted the extended warranty. We declined. Extended warranties are a diabolical trick we now know.

We had bought a policy which covered all out major appliances years ago just in case we did have such catastrophes, but, we found out, when you call to make an appointment to have your appliance repaired you are not only not given an appointment that is always double-digit-days away, they also send you the repair person who learned his (it's always men) skills in the state prison and is not literate. (Why do they always ask to use the bathroom and have serious bowel problems? This I am NOT making up.) Extended warranties mean you are below the bottom of the list. The attitude of the company is that you get what you pay for, you cheap bastard.

So, we are philosophical and realize that the death of our appliances is simply our contribution to boosting the economy.

1 comments:

Neva said...

You so have the right of it...I am guessing we have the same behemoth microwave...but the difference is I LOVE MY ANCIENT MICROWAVE!!!! The new ones are too small for all the warm ups we do..I have TWO behemoths and I would rather have these two microwaves then two regular ovens(which I also have but don't use). Let me thank you now for supporting the economy....