CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, October 27, 2007

A Survey for my students. Thanks for helping.






My latest goal is doing things ahead of time. My daughter, Alexandra, has always been the queen of doing things ahead of time. As a child she would come home, do her homework and then play. I once asked her, "How do you do that?" She looked at me quizzically with those aqua blue eyes and said, "If I get my work done then I don't have to worry about it, then I can go play and have fun!" I never taught her that. ( She is left-handed, however.)

I have battled procrastination for a most of my life. When I started goal-setting one of my major goals was to overcome my last-minute-Liz-itis. (Thank you for not rolling your eyes. I don't blame you. I'd roll my eyes, too.) Now I was ready for the next step.

This last year my big goal was to "LIG" or, "Let it go". That was a tough one. Probably the toughest of all, but learning to let go has been one of the most exhilarating things I have ever done. I am now able to let go of the majority of things that bug me. Another way of putting it is that I learn to forgive myself and others. Man! I would have done that decades ago had I known the amazing benefits of letting go.

I have a darling girl in my class this year who waves her hand wildly after an assignment is given and asks, "Can I hand this in early?" I told the class that this young woman was destined for success and happiness in her life. Guess what? It was contagious. Many of the other students started doing it too. We made it a class goal. "I get my work done ahead of time." I was on the bandwagon, too.

So, Alexandra, I am trainable. How many times have you been told that one of the greatest reasons to have children is that they teach you so much? I always wanted to get things done ahead of time, but it was something I just wasn't ready to do because I really didn't think I was even capable of it. Now I am! It is like time-travel. Seriously!

Dear Blogger Friends, here's my question: do you do things ahead of time? Have you always been that way? What are the benefits? Were you like me and just didn't think you were that type of person? Please let me know as I want to share your success stories with my students.

THANKS!

5 comments:

Neva said...

I have learned so much from you...LIG has made my life easier in so many ways. I like the new goal...get it done ahead..I am good at this at work but my clothes closet....still waiting for you to come and help!! I am sure your kids will be very successful with you behind them!!! Great idea.

Liz said...

Thanks, dear Neva, for joining me on this journey. We will get together and tackle that closet. (Maybe that would be a good reason for putting off cleaning it! Ha!)

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

Hi Liz,
I've not been a faithful blogger of late but hope to have more time in the near future.
I have always been a 'do things ahead of time' person. I like to get things done and the faster the better. I am not sure if it is a good way, as I'm always looking for what needs to be done next. But I am slowing down some as I get older and learning that life does go on even when I let a few things go. There has to be a good spot in the middle.

Brett Hendrickson said...

Chefs have something called a mise-en-scene. This is a set of little bowls and trays that are assembled in their workstation before a meal. In each of the bowls is a spice or ingredient that has already been chopped or processed so that it can be quickly and easily accessed at any precise moment during the actual cooking. Having prepared these things beforehand is absolutely essential for successful cooking, especially at a high level.

I think this is analagous to a lot of things in life. If you can get most of your detailed bits worked out before an important event, interaction, or task, then you can do better, you can be more efficient, you can take greater care of deatils. Moreover, it means that you are on time when being on time counts.

Gervy said...

I love Brett's example - it's a great one.

I've always been one for using ALL the time available and handing things in at the last possible minute. The idea was that I would be perfecting my work. However, it was very stressful! I think as a child I sometimes suffered from "perfection paralysis" - I wanted everything to be so perfect that I was scared to commence a task or finish it.

I'm totally over that now! As a very organised worker now, what helps me is to at least start a task straight away, and then let it sit awhile sometimes. That way, my subconscious can tackle the problem while I'm busy doing other things. I also break things down into small chunks and try to recognise the progress I'm making with a task.

I think advising your students to get things done ahead of time is a great idea. I could definitely have used some more time management training as a young student.

You sound like a lovely teacher!