CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, June 23, 2007

The Tortoise, the Hare, and the Treadmill


It’s been three weeks since I seriously started my “treadmilling”. Things are going slowly, but, as my friend pointed out at a recent breakfast, “You might lose more weight if you changed your eating habits.” This, after she watched in horror as I put sugar and cream in my coffee.

“You’re right,” I sniffed. “I know I would lose weight more quickly if I dieted but I also know it wouldn’t be permanent.” She scoffed. “If I diet and lose weight my body will figure it out, and get even.” She scoffed again. “If I exercise and don’t change the way I eat I’ll lose weight.” She was into major scoffing by now. “I already have.” The scoffing abruptly stopped. She was quiet.

“How long do you think this will take?” she wanted to know.

“Maybe, hmmm, a year.”

“A year?”

“Probably.”

“You’re kidding.”

No, I wasn’t. I heard a story of a man who owned a health club and didn’t understand why people had such a hard time losing weight. He went on his first diet and lost twenty-five pounds. It was easy. No big deal. (You know where this story is going.) He put the weight back on plus five pounds and started having trouble with his weight. After I heard that story I decided I would never diet again.

It’s said that you must walk about 40 miles to lose a pound. As of today I’ve walked just under 90 miles, and I things have definitely toned up and I know I’ve lost a little weight. The main thing is I have stuck with this and honestly enjoyed it. That was my original goal:to stick with it.

Believe me, if I can do this anyone can. How are you doing?




8 comments:

Neva said...

You give me hope and your logic...I get!! It does make sense....I am not doing so well with the dog walking...not consistent enough....I am seriously looking for a used, simple treadmill....

Liz said...

You can do it! I know that I will meet my weight goal before a year, but I know that if I do this consistantly for a year that I will do it forever.

I bet your arm is tronger from walking with ClancyO.

Brett Hendrickson said...

I'm glad this is working for you! I hope you find a way to keep it up during the school year.

Liz said...

Brett, I havefigured that out. You know how early I get up. Instead of sitting in my wonderful big chair in the living room having a cup of coffee I will use that same twenty minutes to walk, betting the walk will do what the caffiene does.

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

Oh you are so inspiring, but I need to print this and tape it to my nose. I have found my treadmill but now need to find a place where I will use it. Our rooms are rather small but maybe I'll just have to learn to live with it setting in the middle of everywhere. Hey, I can even walk more by walking around it. Keep pushing me Liz, I'll get started I know I will. And your logic makes perfect sense.

Liz said...

Evonne, Put the darn thing in the middle of wherever you want!! My grandkids climbed all over mine (just remember to unplug it after each use.) Here's my challege for you today. Get on for five minutes at a time. Remember the motto here is, "Fun and Easy". Do not go for the burn. Ach! Then an hour or so, later go for another five minutes, etc. Then boost your time little bit by little bit. Don't forget your calendar to track your walking. That part is very gratifying.

I think all those diet outfits are a ripoff and we can put them out of business. Life is too short to be misearble about anything, especially exercising.

Unknown said...

Good job, Mom. I am proud of you!

Mrs Fashion said...

"My body will figire it out and get even"
I love it!
Mrs F x