CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

TREADMILL UPDATE



Okay, I don’t look anything like any of these women. I am the same height as Eva L., who, by the way, is 5’1” tall (or short) but CLAIMS to be 5’2”. I never looked like her, and never will. Sally Field is 5’1” in height and a little older than I am, and you have probably seen her hawking medicine for osteoporosis. I know she suffered from a multitude of eating disorders when she was younger, and chances are they have contributed to her present condition. However, now the woman looks great and I would be happy if my body looked like hers.

Valerie Bertonelli is in my height category, but I never got anywhere near as chubby as she, thank goodness. Cellulite does not discriminate and even former wives of former rock stars succumb. I guess being paid a gazillion dollars to go on TV to sell whatever diet program is motivation enough for her. I just think it makes losing weight all too complicated. (Is Kirsty Allie finished losing weight? Is she happy at that size? If she is, good for her, but who, for goodness sake, picks out her clothes? Not very figure flattering.)

However, I refuse to diet. I have found that if someone says I can’t have a particular goodie then it haunts my dreams. Also, I quit weighing myself over twenty years ago. I did not want to be tied to a number on a scale. I turn around on the scale at the doctor’s office. They are used to it by now.

I don’t diet because yes, one does lose weight when one diets except that your body gets used to less food and if you try to eat “normally” those pesky pounds, which have missed you so much, come right back usually on the butt. The diet industry wants to continue sucking money out of people when 95% of them put the weight back on, and then some. (Check the statistics yourself.) Even Valerie’s diet company admits to that when pressed.

So, how is walking on the treadmill going? Fantastically. Since I am not a television watcher I decided I would order the shows from NetFlix and watch them as I walked. I have a headphone set and I bought an extension cord from Radio Shack so that no one else is bothered by the many episodes of “Desperate Housewives” I view. I walk when I feel like it. This has been so easy. Yes, I look forward to the walking. I have a little calendar and, as of today, I am walking an average of 3.46 miles per day.

So, I know this way will take longer, but I’m okay with that. Honestly, at my age I want to be healthy and I’m letting my body decide what is a healthy size for me.

Here is my plan. I want to keep this up, and I believe I can. Let me know how you are doing. Pass it on.

7 comments:

The Spicers said...

Good for you! I've always thought exercise was more for the mental benefit than the physical. It does feel good to be active and diets are ridiculous. I've never known anyone who achieved lasting slimness from a diet.

Liz said...

iheartfashion,
You being in the fashion business would know this. I think a huge part of this is mental, too. My truly slim friends say they CAN't keep weight on (and that was true of me in my youth, too.)
If I didn't lose any weight but just firmed up, I would be happy and healthy! And don't you get sick of people who are always on a diet. They act very superior like chocolate will kill you. Bring it on!

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

Go Liz. I'm going to dig out my treadmill and get with it. But first I have to remember where to start digging.

Liz said...

Evonne, I am so proud of you! You will be amazed at how easy this is. This should be fun. If you get swetay, it's not fun. (I set a fan in front of me.) If you start going too fast, it won't be fun.

I think we are so locked into this being work, that we don't do it.

You go, girl!

Liz said...

I really need to check over my spelling. The word is SWEATY!

Neva said...

I knew I liked you!! I, too, refuse to be married to a number on the scale.....I haven't been on a scale for a while...I need to get a treadmill and try it....the Netflix sounds like a good idea and then I can catch up on the shows everyone talks about....never saw show one of the Sopranos and isn't it over now? This is all contingent on GETTING a treadmill!!!Keep up the good work!

Mrs Fashion said...

Good luck with the regime - I wish I had the willpower to get healthy but am a bit too lazy ;-)
Mrs F x