CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, June 01, 2007

BIG SECRET - Not for Fitness Purists


Do not forward this blog to any of your friends who are really into fitness and exercise because it will cause them to faint, or just explode with frustration at those of us who are not exercising correctly (which is a felony in some states, I understand.)

A number of years I ago I got up before sunrise and went walking. The weight almost magically came off. It was fun and I listened to a great many books on cd (shameless plug for Audible.com.) The problem was – big surprise - once school started up again I didn’t keep it up.

Next, when summer started I got a bottom of the line treadmill, and watched movies as I walked away. Those pesky pounds dropped off, school started and I didn’t keep up the walking. I was too tired. I didn’t want more work!

I teach with a number of women who are hardcore exercisers. They go to the gym faithfully. They are toned. Some, shame, shame, are even tan (which is NOT a cool thing to do here in our skin cancer state.) I want to hit them, but I haven’t the strength. I needed a different strategy. I needed something that worked.

Brilliant idea. How would you exercise if you could exercise the way you wanted to? What if you never heard, or never believed Jane Fonda’s “No pain. No gain.” Easy answer; it would be fun and no work. That’s how little kids exercise. That’s how I stayed skinny as a little kid.

Here is my plan, and you can do this too, as long as you promise to keep it secret. If word gets out it would ruin the “Health Club” economy. Oh, darn.

I renewed my Netflix membership and plan to watch the TV shows that I never have watched because I am too wiggly to sit and watch TV. (No, I can’t watch and do something that is even slightly left brianed, either. I can’t multi-task.) I am currently treading, literally, through “Desperate Housewives”, but here is my secret; I slowly walk a mile. Go do other stuff. Come back. Slowly walk another mile. Go do other stuff. Slowly walk another mile. Ect., ect.

Guess what? I am not sore. I am not exhausted. Yes, I know the purists will say that won’t do any good. I believe that’s a HUGE part of the exercise problem. I am sure there are a lot of people who have bought into the purists theories and believe that since they can’t exercise properly they won’t bother. What if that isn’t true? What’s the worst that can happen? I will be getting exercise and having fun and therefore I’ll keep it up. Is that so bad? Don’t know. I’ll keep you posted.




5 comments:

PEM Cell Hydrogen said...

Let me know how this works out for you. I'm too tired to even try it to see if it will work but it sure sounds good. And Lord knows I need to have the pounds just drop off.
Your secret will be safe with me.

Liz said...

YOU can share with like-minded others. I think we need to rebel against the excercise dictators.

Neva said...

When I read your blog it was like reading my life history with exercise and weight the last few years......except I haven't opted for the treadmill just yet....wow...we must be like minded!! How's that sock drawer coming? my project when school is done is to clean the garage...and NO I will not take before pictures.....too embarrassed!

Liz said...

Neva, I'm at 11 miles so far and it has been, literally, painless. I am working my way through "Desparate Housewives" and I know I will never, and never did look like any of those gals but I am motivated.

The cleaning is coming along, thank you very much!!

Sears has the CHEAPEST treadmills. You don't need anything of the fancy stuff, either.

Ah, you can show AFTER pictures of the garage.

The Spicers said...

Sounds like the perfect way to exercise! I've never believed that gyms were necessary anyway. Most Europeans manage to stay slim (at least their obesity rates are far lower than the U.S.) just by going about their business and walking most places.