CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Graduation Audience from Hell


Last night was our sixth grade graduation program. I’m not sure why this is done, but as with any custom, once started, it will continue unless something egregious enough happens to put it to a stop. I believe I witnessed it last night.

First, many of the girls dressed in outfits that were best described by one administrator as “hoochie mama” attire. She was being kind. The wolf whistles from the adult men in the audience were creepy.

Second, the barking, shouting, and screaming by the parents was beyond awful. The principal had said, in her introductory remarks, this was a formal occasion and to hold the applause until each class was finished. This seemed to be taken as a challenge to some. The audience’s crude behavior was better suited to WWF Wrestling. One teacher was repeatedly ridiculed for asking the audience to hold their applause. She finally said, “I give up.” That was greeted with riotous glee.

It was boorishness on a scale the likes of which I have never seen. It was so bad, in fact, that this morning the sixth graders were talking about the fact that they were embarrassed. Maybe the bad audience behavior has reached the “Tipping Point” and that, at least, is a good sign.

6 comments:

Alex said...

Wow -- I hope this means better behavior in the future...

Liz said...

I thank goodness for my Toastmaster's training. No one in audience was rude to me.

Liberty London Girl said...

Hello Liz, Your blog is certainly sn insight - & light years away from my egocentric world. I admire what you do so much. I've sent the link to all my UK teacher friends; I think it will be an eyeopener!

Liz said...

LLG- What a treat to hear from you. These little girls all want to go into fashion, too. The daughter of the most boorish parents ( the ones who started the riot) read an essay about being in fashion ten years from now. These little girls don't seem to understand, or even have a concept of style, though!Your world gives us elegance. Thank goodness!

Liz said...

From Anne who had trouble logging on:
I heard not long ago that 8 is the new 13 for fashion in girls. We see that in schools almost daily. And for the kids' special night to be ruined by such boorish behavior, how sad.

I have no doubt you were not treated rudely because you have a magic presence about you!

Think of the positive and loving words you wrote on the hearts of Rudy and Lester and I dare say many more this year!

Neva said...

I work at a small high school and each year I see a sense of entitlement that gets worse every year....and I blame the parents....what ever happened to proper decorum? I am amazed at the behavior I see on a daily basis and the parents do not think it is bad behavior....major problem coming down the pike!