CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, May 11, 2007

Tattoo and Barbeque for Rudy



Rudy is my sixth grade student who, I believe, is autistic. No, he hasn’t been tested. Mom had never agreed to have him diagnosed. “He is just shy,” she claimed. . It is heart-wrenching to have to tell a parent that his or her child’s behavior is not normal.

Last fall Rudy and I clashed. The other students were used to Rudy’s outbursts, but I wasn’t. When we switched from one subject to another his loud groans of protest and statements of, “This sucks!” or, “I hate this!” or “This is stupid!” were grating, to say the least. Most confounding was the fact that Rudy would deny saying these things. Also, Rudy would never look at me. He was like a mini –Rainman. It finally dawned on me that Rudy couldn’t distinguish between what he thought and what he said out loud. Mom finally agreed that yes, he did that at home. I felt that that was progress. It was her first acknowledgement of his problems. This was just prior to our winter (Christmas) break.

When school resumed in January there was a dramatic change in Rudy’s behavior. Each day there were fewer outbursts. I took him aside and told him how proud I was of him. He seemed very pleased and finally one day after one of these compliments he spontaneously hugged me. It was all I could do to keep from crying.

I wish I could take credit for Rudy’s new awareness but it was actually something his parents did. They set up a tape recorder at home and Rudy finally heard himself saying all the things that he thought were thoughts. I was astounded and thrilled. Who would have thought something that simple would work?

I decided not to push for Rudy’s testing because, I was told, he would surely have been placed in a self-contained classroom in junior high. In my heart I just didn’t feel that this was best for him. He was making progress and mainstreaming is almost always best for kids.

In the classroom Rudy struggled with figurative language. Metaphors especially were just mind-boggling to him. Metaphors are tricky for nearly everyone, but for someone like Rudy, whose world was literal, they were always out of his, literal and figurative, grasp. Metaphors are like learning to look at those hidden pictures; you stare and stare and suddenly you see the little teapot or pair of scissors. Rudy tried but figurative language always seemed to elude him, until this past Wednesday.

Twenty percent of the students in my class are on meds for ADHD (Hyper Activity/ Attention-Deficit Disorder.) Having been diagnosed with this myself, although I choose not to do meds, I have a pretty high tolerance for this high-energy type of student. I have advised my students, having taught junior high myself, that when they get to junior high they will have to make more of an effort to keep a lid on the talking. “They will tattoo and barbecue you for that in junior high,” I warned.

“Is that a metaphor?” asked Rudy.

“Yes! Yes! Yes, it is, Rudy! You got it!” The class burst into applause.

What a huge step. Rudy will make it.

5 comments:

steve said...

Hi Liz,

It sounds like a very difficult situation. I can very much sympathize with a desire to keep him in mainstreamed educational environment.

My personal view is that the most important thing to focus on for children with autism is interventions that improve their quality of life. Progress in school, interestingly enough, doesn't seem to predict this (many individuals with autism graduate high school or even college, but are unable to live independently, marry, sustain a job, etc.).

I would recommend that the family seek an evaluation and get a diagnosis. My hope would be that a diagnosis might help them to seek services with the capacity to improve the quality of life outcomes (such as Relationship Development Intervention). There's a pretty good website on the RDI model at www.rdiconnect.com.

Good luck!

Liz said...

Steve,
Thank you so very much. I love this little guy and I have struggled with how best to handle this. I can now tell his parents I have consulted an expert - you -, and tell them your recommendations.

Just getting mom to recognize that he even had problems was the first big step. We have trust now, so I believe they will support getting outside help.

Thank you. Thank you!

Anne said...

Liz,

You are an exquisite storyteller. I celebrate with you in this small but momenteous victory in Rudy's world.

Teaching is not an exact science and we mostly are planting seeds. Rarely do we see the harvest of our labor. What a joy! I disagree that you had little to do with with Rudy's improvement. I have seen you with your students. You with 12 year olds are art!

Alex said...

I love you, Mom, and am so proud of what a great teacher you are. Working with children is truly your God-given vocation.

Neva said...

WOW ...I am so moved....what an awesome story.